Sunday, June 17, 2012

Four months since surgery

The old fat guy looks over the crux during his first 10a onsight in more than two years
Last Thursday marks exactly four months since surgery and the new hip is coming along nicely. Last weekend I got in three consecutive days of climbing, something I haven't managed to do in years. Friday I worked a session in the gym, Saturday I went bouldering outdoors for the first time since surgery and Sunday we headed back to Paredes Naranjas.

On Saturday, after a late start,  Martin, Analia and I went out for a short session in the sector of boulders on La Barrosa know as the Boulders in the Bosque. At some point in the future, when I have more time, I hope to write up a detailed description of this area for the blog, inclubing a photo catalog. The zone has around 40 established boulder problems, ranging from V0 to V10 as well as one of La Barrosa's prime unsent projects. Saturday we did eight of the easiest problems, up to V2 in difficulty. Except for one problem, these are all boulders I had managed to do with the botched resurfacing. The exceptional problem was an old V2 of mine which I hadn't repeated last year because of mobility limitations. So I guess that means I'm getting some mobility back, which is good.  

We didn't get any pictures on Saturday, so here some old shots of two boulders we did, photographed last year (on a much warmer day) by a German friend named Markus.
The old fat guy boulders V2 (last year) with his FUBAR hip resurfacing
Martin's got my back
Martin cranks a srunchy V2 eliminate while Analia and Shaki look on
Weatherwise, Sunday was the perfect day for going climbing on the front wall of Sierra de los Difuntos: cool air, warm sun and dry conditions. Our group consisted of Gaby (still not climbing because of shoulder pain), Cecilia, Martin, Analia, Rafael and Hugo. We had to return home a bit early because that evening  Ceci was having a couple of her stories read aloud at a local literary event and we sure couldn't miss that. However, I still managed to get in seven routes, including five of the harder routes I had done on Tuesday, as well as a 5.9 crack climb (my first real trad lead in more than two years) and a 10a onsight. I guess that's not too bad for an old fat guy four months out from revision surgery.
Cecilia topropes 5.7
Ceci climbing high on the 5.7
On his last climb of the day, the old fat guy onsights 10a. 







No comments:

Post a Comment