Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The old fat guy rebounds in Viejolandia

The crew back in Viejolandia last Sunday
Today is exactly three months after my revision surgery. So far, all I can say is: thank you, Koen De Smet! Last Sunday the crew (me, Martin, Analia, Rafael, Cecilia, Gaby and another friend named Hugo) returned to Viejolandia. My new hip rebounded like a charm and this time I actually began to feel like a real climber.

The week before, after three consecutive days of hard activity, including the day I got spanked in Viejolandia, my thigh muscle was feeling tight and sore. This was nothing like the set backs I'd had with the first surgery, where I ended up limping around for extended periods of time. However, considering my previous experience, any kind of pain makes me feel a bit anxious. I took it easy for a couple of days, more because I was busy at work and home than because my leg was really bothering me. Then last Thursday, I took out the headlamp and went for a brisk 4 mile nighttime walk after work. When I got done my leg felt tighter and more sore, which made me even more nervous. Still, I wasn't even close to walking with a limp. Then, by the next day, my leg started feeling a little better. Even though, I decided to do a 40 minute ride on the stationary bike, instead of going for a walk. After the ride, my leg felt even better. Saturday, Martin and I climbed pretty hard in my climbing gym and then took the dogs for a 4 mile walk. By then my leg was hardly bothering me at all. I was feeling ready for my first attempt, since surgery, at climbing two days in a row. Sunday I'd go another round with Viejolandia.

The old fat guy climbs an easy, beginner 5.8 in Viejolandia
Hugo races the old fat guy to the top of the cliff
Looks like Hugo is winning
Martin and Hugo worked the 5.11 on top rope. Martin managed to climb it without any hangs
Hugo on the 5.11. The crux is passing the big roof above. 
All and all I did seven routes that day, including a solid lead of the 5.10 that kicked my butt the weekend before. Sure, most of the routes were 5.7 or 5.8, but I felt good and my new hip was working great. 
Watch out for the ferns
Pretty orange lichens
Rafael showing his stuff
Make the move, Rafi
Analia watching over her son

Rafi goes for a high step












No comments:

Post a Comment